The National Gallery of Ireland, Merrion Square, Dublin 2
Main Contractor: John Paul Construction
Architect: Heneghan Peng Architects
Conservation Architect: Blackwood Associates Architects
The National Gallery of Ireland was founded in 1854 and opened 10 years later. The National Gallery of Ireland is located on Merrion Square and is one of the finest buildings in Ireland.
The National Gallery went under major restoration work and Griffin Plastering carried out all the Traditional Lime plastering and Decorative plasterwork on this project.
When repairing the plain walls and ceiling we used all the same materials and techniques used when this building was originally built such as riven lath and natural hydraulic lime.
When carrying out the decorative plasterwork we had to use a number of different techniques such as running cornice, mould making to match original and in some areas we had to supply and fit new cornice.